Digestive enzymes have been used to address health problems varying from indigestion to chronic pancreatitis and even cystic fibrosis! Supplementing your gut’s natural digestive enzymes has been shown to be an integral part of a healthy lifestyle. Not only does enzyme supplementation reduce the negative effects of an unhealthy gut, such as indigestion and food intolerances, it promotes the absorption of key nutrients from any food you eat!
The logic behind Digestive Enzyme Supplements is this:
Enzymes are essentially very small proteins that break down chemicals and materials into smaller forms which your body can utilize in its natural processes. Gluten and Lactose are present in many types of food, yet there are many people whose bodies lack the enzymes to break them down into their usable forms. For those of you who suffer from this enzyme deficiency, you know that this can be a MAJOR PROBLEM. In order to address this deficiency, many doctors have begun prescribing Digestive Enzyme Supplements, which are essentially capsules jam-packed with the enzymes which are typically found in low levels in many individuals’ bodies.
These are some of the benefits associated with Digestive Enzymes:
- Energy production
- Absorption of oxygen
- Fighting infections and healing wounds
- Reducing inflammation
- Getting nutrients into your cells
- Carrying away toxic wastes
- Breaking down fats in your blood, regulating cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Dissolving blood clots
- Proper hormone regulation
- Slowing the aging process
And here is what you should look for in your enzyme supplement:
- It should contain a mixture of different types of enzymes, to help digest all of the different components of your diet (including lipase, protease, and amylase)
- The ingredients should be high quality, all-natural, and free of allergens and additives
- The supplement should be labeled as to the enzymatic strength of each ingredient, not just its weight
- It should be made by a reputable company with rigorous quality control and testing for potency
HOWEVER: BE WARNED that some supplement products have been found to contain harmful impurities and additives!
To find out which brands are both the safest and most effective, visit our Top 5 Digestive Enzyme page. We’ve analyzed the top brands to sort out the good from the bad, then ranked the 5 best for you!