RenewLife Ultimate Flora Extra Care Probiotic is a probiotic supplement with a relatively potent dose of 50 billion CFU (colony-forming units) of 12 probiotic strains. It used to be called Ultimate Flora Critical Care.
RenewLife Ultimate Flora Extra Care Probiotic is a good product but there are other products on the market with more diverse probiotic formulas that are around the same price or even more affordable, so that’s something to take into consideration.
This product made our top 5 picks for the best probiotic supplements on the market but didn’t take the number one spot. (Check out the winner here!)
Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Ultimate Flora is one of the better probiotic supplements on the market because of its wide range of probiotic strains. Having a dozen probiotic strains puts it far ahead of many of the probiotic products you’ll find on the shelves of your local pharmacy, which will often have a very low CFU count and very little probiotic diversity.
On the other hand, Ultimate Flora Extra Care fell short of our number one pick for the best probiotic supplement, BlueBiotics Ultimate Care. BlueBiotics Ultimate Care has a more diverse formula and does so at a lower cost.
On top of that, our lab results weren’t as positive as with BlueBiotics and we found that the amounts of actual live and active cultures were effectively less than our top pick.
However, these probiotics have a very high, diverse strain count which makes this product ideal for those who do not have any pressing health issues, but are looking for a solid general supplement for well-being.
What to Expect From The Probiotic Strains in This Product
Ultimate Flora is a diverse probiotic blend. The strains and the benefits associated with them include:
Bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04®
- Some studies indicate that bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04® may have a modest strengthening effect on the body’s immune response. (1) (2)
- Studies suggest that supplementation with bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04® and other probiotic/prebiotic combinations resulted in a healthier balance of gut microflora and a restoration of the gut microflora after taking antibiotics. (3)
- A probiotic mixture containing bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04® had a positive effect on the symptoms and frequency of antibiotic-associated diarrhea and diarrhea caused by C. difficile infection (4)
Bifidobacterium lactis HN019
- Bifidobacterium lactis HN019 may provide you with some relief if you have gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea, constipation, bloating, and abdominal pain (5) (6) (7)
- Studies indicate that bifidobacterium lactis HN019 encourages the growth of probiotics, improving the composition of the gut microbiome and intestinal health (8)
- Bifidobacterium lactis HN019 may enhance immune function (9) (10) (11)
Bifidobacterium lactis bi-07
- Studies suggest that this probiotic strain modulates the immune system so that it has a stronger response against harmful microbes that cause infection, known as pathogens. (12) (13)
- When you take antibiotics, it adversely affects your microbiota and gut health. Bifidobacterium lactis bi-07 may be able to help reduce and alleviate antibiotic-associated diarrhea and get your gut health back on the right track by restoring the good microorganisms in your gut. (14) (4)
- Some studies indicate that this probiotic relieves gastrointestinal distress, such as bloating and stomach pain. (15) (16)
- A study in participants with atopic dermatitis found that the group who received Bifidobacterium lactis Bi-07 had less severe symptoms. (17)
Bifidobacterium infantis bi-26
There isn’t a lot of research available yet on this specific probiotic strain, which makes it a bit of a questionable choice on behalf of the manufacturer to include it in their formula. Regardless, this particular strain most likely works similarly to other bifidobacterium infantis strains.
Lactobacillus plantarum lp-115
- In one study, it appeared that lactobacillus plantarum lp-115 increased immunoglobulin levels, which is an antibody that helps the body’s immune system to fight off harmful pathogenic microbes. (18)
- May provide relief from intestinal disorders (19)
- May be beneficial for heart health (19)
Lactobacillus rhamnosus gg
- May lower your chances of experiencing diarrhea (20)
- May provide relief from IBS symptoms (21) (22) (23)
- May improve your gut health, encourage the growth of other probiotics and short-chain fatty acids, which produce nutrients that your body needs (24)
Lactobacillus acidophilus ncfm
Lactococcus lactis li-23
Lactobacillus casei lc-11
Lactobacillus paracasei lpc-37
Lactobacillus brevis lbr-35
increased nutrient uptake from all sources and increased metabolism; as well as a reduction in symptoms such as upset stomach, diarrhea, constipation, and any antibiotic-associated symptoms. The cultures in Ultimate Flora Extra Care reduce the likelihood of bacterial infections within the sinuses and throughout the digestive tract. Lastly, Ultimate Flora Extra Care contains Lactobacillus bulgaricus, which helps those who suffer from lactose intolerance.
Renew Life Ultimate Flora is composed of very well-documented probiotic strains and is an effective addition to any lifestyle, capable of conferring a wide variety of health benefits. The probiotic strains are not only diverse, they were also resilient to outside influences and, in many cases, were successful in establishing colonies within the digestive tracts of study participants. Individuals participating in our studies also reported moderate weight loss and moderate positive gains in overall musculature. This product is safe for pets and children, but it is always wise to consult a physician before taking any supplement if you are pregnant or nursing.
Despite the hefty CFU advertised by Ultimate Flora, a large portion of the probiotic colonies were no longer alive upon analysis. This resulted in the effective CFU being roughly half of what was claimed by the product. The result was a compromise in the integrity of the overall product, although it must be said that even at half of the claimed value the CFU still scores well within the upper spectrum of general probiotics.
CFU: 50 Billion………….4.5
This product took the number two spot on our list of the best probiotics. To learn which product was the best overall, check out our top picks for the best probiotics right here.Sources