What is Saccharomyces Boulardii
Saccharomyces Boulardii is a type of yeast that is tropical. Harvested from a lychee and mangosteen fruit in 1923. Sometimes used as a probiotic, and can be found in probiotic supplements, with the purpose to introduce beneficial properties in the human intestines. It also serves to provide protection to the walls by adhering to them, and blocking out harmful bacteria. Particularly proven to be found effective in S. boulardii. This bacteria is not only good for your system but it stays in place. In other words it will stay in your gastrointestinal system and not go else where.
Where is it Found?
Saccharomyces boulardii is a yeast, which is a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae(Bakers yeast). Saccharomyces boulardii can be found in supplements, sauerkraut, kimchi, sour pickles, kombucha, sour dough bread, yogurt, and more. You can also find it in supplements drinks.
How Safe is it?
Saccharomyces boulardii has been found to have very minimal risk. Saccharomyces boulardii is likely safe for adults to take orally, In rare cases it may cause fungal infections that can spread thought the body, as well as into the blood stream. Special considerations and precautions/warnings: Pregnancy and breast feeding , as there isn’t enough evidence and reliable information regarding the matter, benefits or side effects on the matter. People with weakened immune system due to illness or medication induced compromised immune system. Overall it is safe for use in otherwise healthy people. As with any medications or concerns consult with the physician.
Saccharomyces Boulardii Medical Benefits On The Human Body
Diarrhea Related to Antibiotics
Saccharomyces boulardii has been used for treatment and prevention of diarrhea induced by medicine. Out of an analysis of 21 randomized trials and testings of controlled substances and almost 4800 participants confirmed its effective for reducing the risk of diarrhea induce by antibiotics.(7, 15, 16)
Diarrhea Related to Illnesses
There have been several studies that show Saccharomyces boulardii may help in treating diarrhea caused by other illnesses such as
- HIV/AIDS : on average most patients gained weight while being on Saccharomyces boulardii, during an 18 month trial. There was no adverse reactions reported in these individuals with a compromised immune system.(17)
- Clostridium difficile infection- studies show people a reduction in relapse(16)
- Acute gastroenteritis: based on a paper that was published by ESPGHAN working groups, which was based on several test may produce positive results in re-hydration therapy. (8 – 12, 20)
- Helicobacter pylori infection- studies have shown it to reduce the side effects of H. Pylori which include diarrhea and nausea.
- Traveler’s diarrhea Anytime a person travels they may experience an upset stomach and diarrhea. This yeast may help in reduction of the symptoms. (19)
- Crohn’s Disease (5),(6)
- Ulcerative Colitis (13)
- B-lactam associated diarrhea (14)
- C-diff infections (8 – 12, 20)
- HIV related diarrhea
- Other Gastrointestinal Disorders (18)
Top 4 killers of Saccharomyces Boulardii
- You need to protect your probiotics in an enteric-coated capsule if you want them to populate the lower intestine. (1)
- Tap Water– Unfortunately, tap water isn’t great for yeast growth. It can reduce, slow or possibly stop the growth altogether. (2)
- Hot or cold temperatures :Yeast grows best in warm to very warm temperatures. Although it can survive a wide range of temperatures, it begins to suffer injury at temperatures of 120 degrees Fahrenheit and will likely lose all life by 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Freezing will put the yeast in a state of suspension, where it’s alive but not growing or affecting the cells.(3)
- Starvation:Yeast needs both food and salt to grow. Its food is a probiotic. Just like anything if you have to much or not enough of something it can cause havoc on your system.
How to pick the best Saccharomyces Boulardii supplements?
- The best Saccharomyces Boulardii Supplements will be designed to give you the most overall health and wellness benefits.
- First of all, you want to make sure that your supplement has the minimum effective dose included:1 billion CFU.
- For preservation, they should be freeze dried. In order to ensure that they have the opportunity to populate the lower intestine, be sure the capsules are enteric coated.
- If you want the best results we recommend looking into a blend of probiotics that includes saccharomyces boulardii, along with at least 10 strains of healthy probiotic bacteria.
- As with all supplements, it should be non-GMO, free from unnecessary fillers and binders, and made in a cGMP certified facility in the USA.
- In addition, it should be from:A company you trust with a simple, straight forward return policy.
- a cGMP certified facility so you know they’ve been grown in clean conditionsPurity and potency testing
How to get the most out of your supplements
- Find a good supplement.
- The second thing is to take it in the right time and way. Most of the best supplements won’t be able to fit the ultra bulky saccharomyces boulardii into one capsule — if they claim to, be wary! They most likely aren’t using the minimum effective dosage of 1 billion CFU.
- Take both capsules at one time. If you have trouble swallowing many capsules in a row,
- Take them with the largest meal of the day, usually dinner. If you have a bigger lunch or breakfast than dinner, it’s probably a good idea to take them with lunch or breakfast instead.
- Eat a diet rich in probiotics. These are foods that feed probiotics, and are usually a specific type of fiber or carbohydrate. Fruits and vegetables, especially berries, are essential to a probiotic rich diet.
Check out this article on Lactobacillus acidophilus: